Open Morning and Official Opening of the new Burgh Collection Rooms

On Saturday 22 September we will officially open our new permanent home for the Burgh Collection in the East Neuk Centre, Ladywalk. We have a dedicated space to house our archives and an adjoining room to put some items on display as well as a space to meet with visitors, carry out research etc .  To celebrate and to show off our new home we are are having an open morning on Saturday 22 September, with an exhibition of some of our artefacts and material. Open to all, so please do join us – Open Morning from 10-12 noon with the Official Opening ceremony at 10.30am.  And why not bring along any local photo or object from the past that you think would be of interest to us?

Cellardyke School Dux Boards

Our new base in Ladywalk allows us to display some of our material. Amongst our favourites are the Dux Boards from Cellardyke School from 1920-1960. 

 

Talk – Love and War: The Life and Death of Johnnie of QMAAC’

Love and War: The Life and Death of Johnnie of QMAAC’

Anster Nicht Talk, Dreel Halls 15 February 7.30 pm

The only woman commemorated on the Anstruther war memorial is Elizabeth Johnston, a former pupil of Waid Academy, whose father was a sailmaker in East Green. A telegraphist in Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps she tragically died, falling from a church tower in Rouen on Christmas Day 1918.

In this, her centenary year, Kevin Dunion, Chair of the Kilrenny and Anstruther Burgh Collection will consider the circumstances of her death and will reveal the results of his painstaking research to establish the identity of the young Canadian soldier she had become close to and who played a prominent part at her funeral. It is a story with an unexpected twist,

No automatic alt text available.
 

High Street sign rescued

Thanks to Louise Lewis at The Bank we have the old wooden street sign from High Street Anstruther, which she saw the Council replacing with a new blue metal one.

No automatic alt text available.

AGM 2017 – Talk on Kellie Castle and the Lorimer family

Do come along next week to enjoy a glass of wine and listen to Caroline Hirst of Kellie Castle give us an insight into the home of the renowned Lorimer family.Caroline has had a link with Kellie Castle since 2001 and has specific interests in Scottish architecture and furniture having obtained a Masters degree in Art History at the University of St Andrews. All welcome.

Image may contain: outdoor and text