How we keep your personal information safe
We are Kilrenny and Anstruther Burgh Collection (KABC) a registered SCIO under Scottish Charity Number SCO24532
This notice explains how we use and protect your personal information. If you have any questions, please do contact the KABC Secretary at email@example.com or you can write to us at East Neuk Books, 6-7 Rodger Street Anstruther Fife KY10 3DU
We value our supporters, whether you are members, volunteers, donors, or visitors to one of our events or activities. We are committed to protecting your privacy, so we make sure we protect any personal information you give us.
What information we collect
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. So, for example, if you join as a member, express an interest in volunteering, purchase our publications or attend our events we may collect and process personal information that you have provided.
This personal information provided by you may include your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number and the date you joined the KABC. It may also include financial details if we receive subscriptions, donations payments from you.
To make sure we always have the most up-to-date information about how to contact you, we may also, from time to time, update your records to reflect any changes to your personal information.
Where we collect personal information
We will collect and hold information from any contact you have with us as a member, customer, or supporter, of KABC.
Data you give to us:
- When you apply for our services e.g. membership. publications, enquiries
- When you talk to us on the phone or in person, including notes we make
- When you use our website or social media services (e.g. Facebook pages)
- In emails and letters
- In event surveys
- If you sign up to our mailing list
When we ask you to provide your personal information we will let you know why we are asking, and how we will use your data, by directing you towards this notice.
Data we collect when you use our services:
- Payment and bank details depending on your method of payment for services
Data shared by outside companies we use to deliver our services:
- Contact details shared by firms used for online payment such as PayPal (no financial data is shared). These companies are required to ensure any transfers of data will be done securely, in accordance with best practice, and in compliance with the Data Protection Regulations.
How we use your personal information?
Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use personal information only if we have a proper reason to do so. This includes sharing it outside KABC. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons:
- To fulfill a contract we have with you, or
- When it is our legal duty, or
- When it is in our legitimate interest, or
- When you consent to it.
For example, as a Charity, we have a legal obligation to collect details about our members. As an archive, it is in our legitimate interest to hold information on donors of material to our collections and/or the subjects. As suppliers or as users of our services, we may need your information to fulfill a contract. Or you may consent to give us your information for a particular purpose such as to receive information about our events, publications etc.
The law allows you to withdraw your consent to any particular usage of your data at any time without needing to specify a reason. You can withdraw your consent by emailing the KABC Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
What we do with your information
Depending on your relationship with KABC, and the preferences you have indicated, data we hold may be used by us for the following purposes:
- To send you promotional, marketing or fundraising information by post or electronic means. These types of communications can include:
- Informing you of publications, products or events related to the KABC
- News and updates about the KABC,
- Information on our fundraising operations, including occasional targeted requests to consider giving financial support to KABC, or to ask you to consider supporting us in other ways.
- Other relevant communications based upon your relationship with KABC
There are some communications that we are required to send regardless of your contact preferences. These are essential communications, deemed necessary to fulfill our contractual or legal obligations to you. This would include thank you letters, Member benefits such as a Newsletter and Membership cards, renewal reminders and querying returned mail or bounced Direct Debit payments with you.
How long we will keep your personal information?
Your personal information will not be retained for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was originally collected, or for which it was further processed, subject to certain legal obligations. We will retain personal data in accordance with our data retention policy below. We review our data retention periods for personal information on a regular basis.
- We hold personal information for as long as your membership or financial support is current and for seven years thereafter.
- We hold personal information for all current volunteers (name and contact details) and for four years thereafter.
- We will hold certain information without time limit to fulfil agreements we have made with you. For example where you have provided us with consent for images taken of you to be used in our exhibitions, publications or other activities or where you have provided photographs over which you have copyright but have permitted us to use in our exhibitions, publications or other activities
- More generally we will hold without time limit data relating to the objects and materials in our collection that are stored for archival or historical interest.
How we will contact you
We prefer to keep in touch by email as it reduces our costs and allows us to keep in regular contact with you about events and activities that we think might interest you. If you haven’t supplied an email address, we will communicate with you less regularly by post.
If you ask us not to contact you again, we will of course not do so. This can relate to all communications with you from the KABC or to particular channels or subjects. You can contact us to change your contact preferences by emailing the KABC Secretary at email@example.com
How we handle your information and other organisations
- We will not rent or sell your personal information to other organisations for use by them in any way, including in their own direct marketing activities.
- We will not pass on your information to external service providers.
- We do not use third parties to update any of our records.
Sharing your information with third parties – keeping your information safe
We will only disclose your personal information to third parties if we are legally obliged to or to protect the rights, property or safety of the KABC and our members and volunteers.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, as listed below, please email the KABC Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access to your personal information ( a Subject Access Request)
- Objection to processing of your personal information;;
- Restriction of processing of your personal information;
- Rectification of your personal information; and
- Erasure of your personal information.
Access to the personal information we hold about you will need you to provide adequate proof of identity.
You can exercise your rights by emailing: the KABC Secretary at email@example.com
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) if you believe your data has been processed in a way that does not comply with the General Data Protection Regulation. You can do so by calling the ICO helpline on 0303 123 1113 or via their website